Physical education is an integral part of educational programme designed to promote the optimum development of an individual physically, emotionally, mentally, socially and spiritually through total body movement in the performance of properly selected physical activities. The primary aim of physical education has varied, based on the needs of the time and place. Most of the institutions’ goal is to provide students with knowledge, skills, capacities, values and the enthusiasm to maintain a healthy lifestyle into adulthood. Activities included in the programme are designed to promote physical fitness, to develop motor skills, to instill knowledge and understanding of rules, concepts, and strategies. Students learn to either work as part of a team, or as individuals, in a wide variety of competitive activities.
Sport has existed for several thousand years. As the world population continues to increase and technology improves in areas such as transportation, communication, medicine, and sports equipment, sport will continue to evolve and involve more and more people across nearly all parts of the world. Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports is commonly referred to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determinant of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games). Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play.
- To spot and groom the sports talent and foster better human relations through sports and games.
- To imbibe in the students discipline, leadership qualities, courage and the sense of belonging through sports activities. To train the students to receive success and defeat unanimously.
- To provide adequate Physical Education and mental so as to enshrine sound mind in a sound body.
- To produce National & International players, by providing hi-tech sports facilities to the students. To attain the top most position in sports arena among the university colleges in our state and country.
- All the students representing the college in various sports & games are provided with suitable sportswear.
- Students of first year, who are selected to represent the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka team are given blazer,in the second year they are given a cash prize of Rs 2,000.00 and in the third year Rs.4,000.00 from the university.
Department of sports has been responsible for instituting a good sports culture in the college. Every year, college organizes many university and intercollege events in the college campus.
Many students of College of Dental Sciences (CODS) have represented the state & RGUHS in sports like Shuttle Badminton, Cricket, Basket Ball, Table Tennis, Tennis, Swimming, Hand Ball, Chess, Ball Badminton, Volley Ball, Kho-Kho, Hockey, Cross Country and Athletics.